When does DRUG USE become DRUG ABUSE?
The following is a list of common addictive behaviors. Answering “yes” to even one of these questions may indicate that you have an addictive behavior.
Take this quiz and find out where you stand.
1. Do you use drugs or alcohol more than once a week?
2. Do you drink or get high immediately after you have a problem at school, work or at home?
3. Do you ever take the drug more often or in larger quantities than intended?
4. Do you feel sick when you stop drinking or taking drugs?
5. Have you ever used one drug to counter balance the effects of a different drug?
6. Do you use drugs or alcohol until the supply is out, or do your friends drink or use a lot less than you do?
7. Have you ever gotten into trouble at school, or been busted or even hospitalized because of using alcohol or other drugs?
8. Have you ever used any prescription medications for reasons they were not prescribed?
9. Do you think about using drugs often?
10. Do you feel that your life would be unbearable without alcohol or drugs?
11. Do you experience anxiety, parinoia, low self esteem or have the feeling of worthlessness?
12. Do you feel guilty, embarrassed, or defensive after using drugs or alcohol?
13. Have you ever woken up, wondering what happened the night before?
14. Have you tried to stop drinking or doing the drug, unsuccessfully?
15. Do you ever feel like you’re going crazy?
16. Do you drink alcohol, or use drugs to wake up in the morning or fall asleep at night?
17. Have you ever switched drugs, thinking that the problem was with the drug you were using before?
18. Have you ever hid the “evidence” of your drinking or doing drugs, so your family would not find out? This could include: hiding bottles, drugs, cigarettes.
19. Have you lost your old friends because of your alcohol or drug use? Have you started hanging out with people who drink or use drugs?
20. Have you ever stolen drugs or alcohol, or stolen money to buy drugs?
21. Has your sexual relationships been affected by using alcohol or drugs?
22. Have you ever used two or more drugs at the same time?
23. Does your family complain about your drug use? Do they know about your drug use?
24. Have you ever taken an overdose of a drug, or thrown up from drinking too much?
25. Do you fell that you have to take the drugs, or drink alcohol to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms?
26. Have you build up a tolerance to the drug, or a need to take more and more of the drug to satisfy you?
27. Do you use drugs or alcohol to feel more self-confident, more likable, or more important?
28. Do you panic when you think you may have run out of your drug?
29. Do you think that you have a problem with drugs or alcohol?
30. Would you like to stop drinking and using drugs, but you don’t know how?
If you answered yes to two or more of these questions, you may have an alcohol or drug problem. Call one of our addiction counselors today.
*Disclaimer: The results of this test are not intended to give a medical diagnosis of an addiction to alcohol or drug and should be used solely as a guide to understanding your personal alcohol and drug use and the potential health issues involved with it.
For more information, please call one of our counselors today.